Campaigners opposed to Cuadrilla’s exploration site at Balcombe joined opponents of fracking from across the UK in writing a letter of protest to David Cameron. The letter included the views of people from areas being targeted by companies which want to exploit unconventional oil and gas. One section […]
On Tuesday November 5th, the heads of two fracking companies gave evidence to the House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee. They were asked about safety, public opinion, regulation, delays and the potential value of the fracking industry. Find out the key points of what they said and read […]
Widespread fracking could encourage people to support alternatives to fossil fuels, the director of Gasland 2 told a screening of the documentary in Lewes, Sussex, last night (23/10/13). Josh Fox said: “The way to get the world off fossil fuels is the number of places they want to […]
The Green Party MP, Caroline Lucas, accused the government of being the flag-waver-in-chief for the fracking industry, after she appeared in court on charges following a protest at Cuadrilla’s site near Balcombe. In a statement made outside Crawley Magistrates Court, she said ministers were ignoring warnings on the […]
In an open letter to West Sussex County Council, 17 Balcombe residents call for further protest against fracking after their “pretty miserable summer” caused by Cuadrila’s exploration for oil. The letter says opponents of the operation fought to be heard by local and national government and the regulators. […]
The government was urged today (8/10/13) to speed up exploratory drilling of shale gas in the UK . Professor Alan Riley, of City Law School, told the House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee no one was certain how much shale gas was technically and commercially recoverable in Britain, or […]
A geophysicist has questioned government assurances fracking is unlikely to contaminate groundwater supplies. David Smythe, Emeritus Professor of Geophysics at the University of Glasgow, told a public debate on fracking in Lewes the assurances were informed by evidence from the US that was not relevant to Britain. Professor […]
Government, operators and regulators must put across a clear message about fracking following the protest at Balcombe, the leading lobbyist for the energy supply industry said today (September 19th 2013). Michael Lunn, of the Environmental Industries Commission, said the government and the Environment Agency had “completely mismanaged” the […]
A group of anti-fracking campaigners arrested at the on-going demonstration outside Cuadrilla’s drilling site in Balcombe can return to the protest after successfully challenging “unlawful” bail conditions imposed by Sussex Police. The eight men and six women had been prevented since their arrest in July from entering an […]