The Conservative MP for the area where Cuadrilla wants to frack in Lancashire asked the most parliamentary questions about shale gas and fracking in 2016.
Mark Menzies, MP for Fylde, was closely followed by the Green Party peer, Baroness Jones.
Analysis by DrillOrDrop shows a total of 48 MPs and Peers in the Westminster parliament asked ministers 98 formal written and oral questions about fracking and shale gas during 2016.
Mr Menzies asked a total of 11 questions, followed by Baroness Jones on 10 and the Conservative MP for Chippenham, Michelle Donelan, on 6.
The data comes from transcripts of questions included in DrillOrDrop’s Fracking Week in Parliament posts. The figures do not include statements made or questions asked during parliamentary debates or meetings.
The top 10 list for fracking questions
- Mark Menzies, Conservative, Fylde – 11
- Baroness Jones, Green – 10
- Michelle Donelan, Conservative, Chippenham – 6
- Caroline Lucas, Green, Brighton Pavilion – 4
- Cat Smith, Labour, Fleetwood – 4
- Dennis Skinner, Labour, Bolsover – 4
- Kevin Hollinrake, Conservative, Thirsk and Malton – 4
- Baroness Featherstone, Lib Dem – 3
- Baroness McIntosh, Conservative – 3
- Chris Matheson, Labour, City of Chester – 3
Questions by party
The questions distributed by party were:
Lib Dem 5
Plaid Cymru, Democratic Unioinist and Ulster Unionists 1 each
72 questions were asked by MPs and the remaining 26 by peers
Questions about Cuadrilla’s fracking sites
Nine of the questions from Mark Menzies were asked after the Local Government Secretary, Sajid Javid, made his announcement in October about Cuadrilla’s fracking plans in Lancashire.
Mr Javid said he was reopening the inquiry into fracking at Roseacre Wood and overruled the decision by Lancashire County Council to refuse planning permission for fracking at Preston New Road.
The issues in Mr Menzies’ questions included:
- Reasons for reopening the Roseacre Wood inquiry
- Impacts of fracking on health and the implementation of recommendations by Lancashire’s Director of Public Health
- Baseline health and emissions monitoring
Follow the red links to read the full questions and answers in Fracking Week in Parliament posts
Baroness Jones questions on counter-terrorism
Nine of the questions by Baroness Jones were asked in the past two months and most stem from the labelling of anti-fracking protesters as domestic extremists by police and the security services. Her questions covered:
Did you MP ask a fracking question?
Full list of MPs who asked questions
Fracking questions asked by peers