Lancashire Police confirmed this afternoon that it was sending a file to the Crown Prosecution Service over the alleged assault of a protester outside Cuadrilla’s shale gas site at Preston New Road.
A post on the Fylde Police Facebook page at just after 5pm said that a 28-year-old man had been interviewed on Monday and reported for summons.
The alleged assault happened on 4 July and film of it was widely shared on social media. The police investigation was reported by the Blackpool Gazette, DrillOrDrop and The Canary website.
A 31-year-old protester made a formal complaint that he had been assaulted by security staff.
The police said today they had made further inquiries following the complaint. The post continued:
“On 17 July 2017, a 28-year-old male was interviewed under caution by officers regarding this and other matters.
“As a result of this the male has been reported for summons and a file will be sent to the Crown Prosecution Service.”
Updated 20/7/2017 to amend headline and text