Get the fracking message clear

Government, operators and regulators must put across a clear message about fracking following the protest at Balcombe, the leading lobbyist for the energy supply industry said today (September 19th 2013). Michael Lunn, of the Environmental Industries Commission, said the government and the Environment Agency had “completely mismanaged” the […]

Update – 16 September 2013

Update to September timeline 13/9/13 Costs rise Sussex Police say the cost of policing the Balcombe protest has now reached £2.449m, up to yesterday (Thursday September 12 2013). Further charges Sussex police give details of charges made against people arrested on Tuesday (10 September 2013) outside the Cuadrilla site […]

One month on

A month ago today, on Thursday July 25th, Cuadrilla began moving equipment onto its exploratory drilling site near Balcombe in West Sussex. Anti-fracking campaigners gathered outside the gates and successfully stopped lorries getting into the site. By 11am, campaigners had established a camp on the verge alongside and vowed […]

Updates – August 23rd

Updates to August timeline 23/8/13 Costs reach £2.3m Sussex Police says the cost of policing protests at Balcombe has risen to £2.3m and is likely to reach £3.7m. It says the cost of the six-day Reclaim the Power camp, which ended on Wednesday August 21st, were £1.5m, including help […]

Quote of the Day: 26 days later

Even before the arrest yesterday of the Green Party MP Caroline Lucas – for illegally blocking the entry to the drilling site, along with other protesters – it was clear that any rational debate [about shale gas exploration] had been drowned out by a shrieking chorus of environmental […]