The trial of 12 anti-fracking campaigners who parked a caravan in front of Cuadrilla’s shale gas site has been abandoned.
A judge in Manchester said the failure of prosecutors to provide a barrister for an on-going case involving the IGas drilling site at Barton Moss was “inexcusable” and “unacceptable”.
9th May 2014 The last trial arising from the anti-fracking protests outside Cuadrilla’s oil exploration site at Balcombe has been dropped by prosecutors.
18th April 2014 By Ruth Hayhurst and Barry Keevins After her acquittal on all charges arising from last year’s Balcombe anti-fracking demonstrations, MP Caroline Lucas said the right to protest was being eroded and undermined. “Legitimate protest”, she said was being “criminalised by oppressive policing in an attempt […]
8th April 2014 After a batch of recent court cases arising from the protests against Cuadrilla’s oil exploration site at Balcombe, we thought it was worth summarising the outcomes of the legal action so far.
19/2/14 Seven people were arrested for causing harassment, alarm or distress at the Balcombe anti-fracking protests last summer – but none were convicted. Freedom of Information requests revealed that police used Sections 4a and 5 of the Public Order Act 1986 as the grounds for arrests outside Cuadrilla’s […]
The Crown Prosecution Service has revealed details of more cases arising from the Balcombe anti-fracking protests that have been dropped before reaching trial. Earlier this month, we reported information from Sussex Police, which said 21 people had their cases discontinued by the police before they were charged and […]
The cases against nearly half the people arrested at the anti-fracking protests outside Cuadrilla’s drilling site Balcombe have been dropped by police or prosecutors. The finding was revealed following a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request made by InvestigatingBalcombeAndCuadrilla.com to Sussex Police. According to the police response, a […]
The Crown Prosecution Service refused to comment on the acquittal of the first people arrested at the Balcombe anti-fracking protest last summer. Yesterday, a group of 11 environmental campaigners were found not guilty after a three-day trial of obstructing the highway outside Cuadrilla’s oil exploration site, (See below […]
We asked Sussex Police and the Crown Prosecution Service to comment on the collapse of the first trial of a campaigner arrested during protests against Cuadrilla’s exploration at Balcombe. The case, heard at Brighton Magistrates, ended abruptly on Monday (25/11/13) when District Judge Peter Crabtree questioned whether an offence had […]