A haulage company, which was making a delivery to Cuadrilla’s shale gas site near Blackpool, has confirmed it is cutting its ties with the industry after its lorry was delayed by protests for more than three days.
An anti-fracking campaigner climbed onto the cab of an L & M Transport lorry at about 11am on Tuesday and stayed there until 4.30pm yesterday (28 July 2017). The campaigner came down and was arrested after the company released a public statement.
The company said:
“As many of you involved with L & M Transport know we have been drawn into a situation this week that is out with our control.
“We unknowingly took on to deliver a load to the northwest of England which turned out to be supplies for the fracking industry company Cuadrilla. Since early Tuesday we have had protestors restricting our access to the delivery point and have had a “surfer” on the roof of our truck.
“This load was undertaken through a 3rd party and If we had know this delivery was for the company Cuadrilla and to be used in the questionable fracking industry we quite simply would not have become involved.
“We can state that we will never knowingly work for Cuadrilla or any agents involved with Cuadrilla or the fracking industry again.”
DrillOrDrop understands that the load was not delivered to the Preston New Site.
Another protester who had climbed on to a separate lorry at 8am on Tuesday came down at 8pm last night (Friday 29 July). A third “lorry surfer” who began his protest at 6am on Wednesday is still there 78 hours later.
Jay Lamb, from Reclaim the Power, which has been coordinating protests outside the Preston New Road said:
“The incredible efforts of the truck surfers to continue their protest for over 72 hours shows two things.
“Firstly, direct action plays a crucial role in stopping fracking, causing yet another company to pull out of supplying Cuadrilla today.
“Secondly, protesters are becoming more determined than ever to stop fracking. The resistance to fracking is growing and shows no sign of slowing down”.
Earlier this week, Cuadrilla’s chief executive, Francis Egan, said in a statement:
“No responsible person can claim this is peaceful or lawful protest when it is causing delay and misery to local commuters, businesses and people visiting the area during the holiday season.
“Far from boasting online about their illegal exploits, the national activists from Reclaim The Power should publicly apologise to all those road users that they continue to inconvenience due to their self-serving, publicity seeking and foolish actions.”
In the early hours of Thursday morning, Cuadrilla delivered its drilling rig, in breach of planning conditions.