A second consultation began today on plans by UK Oil & Gas to drill for oil at Arreton on the Isle of Wight.
The company has revised the proposed site entrance and junction with the road between Newport and Sandown.
Previous proposals had been criticised by highways officials, who recommended the scheme should be refused planning permission.
Late last month (December 2020), Island Roads, which manages Isle of Wight highways, said the revised scheme was acceptable, providing UK Oil & Gas (UKOG) met nine conditions.
People are invited to send comments on the revised application over the next five weeks until Friday 12 February 2021.
Other new responses
In the past few weeks, there have also been responses from
- The Environment Agency: No further comments to make – a previous submission made no objection
- Historic England: No comment but recommendation that Isle of Wight Council consult its specialist conservation and archaeological advisors
- Ecology officer, Isle of Wight Council: Satisfied that ecological impacts can be satisfactorily addressed
A previous public consultation attracted more than 2,225 objections, according to analysis by the campaign group, Don’t Drill the Wight.
The group’s figures contradict those on the application webpage, managed by the Isle of Wight Council. This indicates a total of 923 public comments, of which 856 were objections.
However, DrillOrDrop understands that the council’s webpage total includes only comments submitted through the online planning portal. It does not include comments sent by email or post. Don’t Drill the Wight said the webpage also mixed up some comments between objections and supports.
The latest Don’t Drill the Wight analysis recorded 2,231 objections and 69 comments in support up to 22 December 2020.
A 38 Degrees petition opposing the application had 3,155 signatures at the time of writing.